Course Name: DATA-BASED INTENSIVE INTERVENTION PRACTICUM IN ACADEMICS AND BEHAVIOR
Course Developers: Kristi Baker, Carlin Conner, Rachel Donegan, Jennifer Stewart, Victoria Whaley, Jessica Wright
Course Description: This Masters-level course is designed to provide students with hands-on experience in providing data-based and individualized interventions to a student who may be experiencing academic and/or behavior challenges. Students will learn how to use and apply data collection and progress monitoring tools to individualize intervention for struggling learners.
1. Educators will use the principles of DBI to design and implement an (intensive) academic intervention and produce a written report summarizing this intervention and its results.
2. Educators will use the principles of DBI to design and implement a behavioral (intensive) intervention and produce a written report summarizing this intervention and its results.
3. Educators will evaluate a standard protocol intervention identifying strengths and weaknesses considering students with intensive needs and consider ways to intensify intervention according to the taxonomy detailed by Fuchs, Fuchs, and Malone, 2017.
4. Educators adaptations or modifications to literacy instruction for students demonstrating an inadequate response to an existing standard protocol intervention (e.g., students with persistent and severe reading difficulties, students requiring behavioral support strategies, culturally and linguistically diverse learners, and students with low incidence disabilities).
Developed course materials include the following:
- Syllabus for 13 weeks of instruction
- Class PowerPoints
- Required and supplemental readings
- Detailed assignment instructions and related rubrics
- In-class materials, handouts, and activity sheets
- Grading criteria
**For access to a complete set of materials for a particular course, please email a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Course citation: Baker, K., Conner, C., Donegan, R., Stewart, J., Whaley, V., Wright, J. (2019) Data-based Intensive Intervention Practicum in Academics and Behavior. National Center for Leadership in Intensive Intervention; Grant H325H140001. Washington, DC: US Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs. Available at http://nclii.org/scholar-designed-courses/practicum-in-academics-and-behavior/.
The contents of this website were developed under grants from the U.S. Department of Education, #H325H140001 and #H325190003. However, those contents do not necessarily represent the policy of the U.S. Department of Education, and you should not assume endorsement by the Federal Government. Project Officer, Celia Rosenquist.
Copyright 2018 Vanderbilt University. All rights reserved.